Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Out of the Fridge and into Freezer

Spent many hours in an airport in Toronto, Canada, since my flight (and then second re-booked flight) was delayed due to the snowy conditions. There is no use being frustrated at the cold climate, since I am on my way to a much harsher environment, but airports are not my favourite place to be delayed. I was lucky enough to be on the airplane while it was being de-iced to make it flight worthy before we continued our journey, it was like being in a car wash for planes!

Plane being de-iced at Pearson Airport
                                     

 After many airports and many more delayed/cancelled flights (New York, Los Angeles) I arrived in Sydney, Australia, to (unsurprisingly) find out that I had missed my connection to New Zealand, and I was going to be spending the night. New Years Eve, stranded in Sydney by my lonesome?

This is where social media kicks in, found a friend in no time thanks to facebook, and had another stroke of luck: she had been camped out all day next to the water at Sydney Harbour bridge, in anticipation for the show at midnight. Sydney is known for their spectacular New Years Eve fireworks displays, and she had scored prime blanket space on the grass.  Great way to ring in 2013, and I leave for Christchurch (and the Antarctic!) shortly.


Sydney Harbour fireworks


No comments:

Post a Comment